Monday, March 2, 2009

Sorry Folks...Airport's Closed. Moose Out Front Shoulda Told You



I thought I was in for trouble when I tried to check in and was told I had already checked in at 6:30 this morning with two bags. I hadn’t even left the house yet so I knew it wasn’t me. Apparently somebody else was checked in under my name.

There were big storms on the east coast, but I hadn’t heard anything about Milwaukee. So we depart on time, all’s good and when we are about 45 minutes away, the pilot announces that the airport in Milwaukee is closed for snow removal. That is helpful information to have before leaving. We went in circles for about 30 minutes then were able to land in Milwaukee.
It was crazy snowing when I left the airport but by the time I got to the office, which is less than fifteen minutes away, the sun was bright and shiny and no snow.

Update: As I write this at 12:05, I looked out the window and it is crazy snowing again. From weather.com: AS OF 11 AM... MILWAUKEE GENERAL MITCHELL INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT HAS ALREADY RECEIVED 13.2 INCHES. AN ADDITIONAL 3 TO 6 INCHES ARE LIKELY THROUGH THE AFTERNOON NEAR THE LAKE... LEADING TO STORM TOTALS OF 15 TO 18 INCHES OVER SOUTHEASTERN SECTIONS OF MILWAUKEE COUNTY. ISOLATED HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE.

It snowed long enough on my drive in for me to find out how inadequate the windshield wipers are in the Ford Focus from New Jersey. Only about the last two inches of the blades do anything at all. Should be fun this week if it keeps snowing!

No comments: