Friday, September 18, 2009

Rookie Mistakes

Last Thursday, my last work-related airplane trip for a long while (fingers crossed) I made two rookie mistakes.

When I went through security, they asked if they could re-run my bag. As soon as they asked, I remembered that I had a set of silverware that I had taken when I packed up my desk and had intended to put in my suitcase. Of course, I forgot that last part. They carefully examined my knife and finally decided it would pass but warned me that next time, I might not be so lucky.

Then, I left my journal on the plane, in the seat pocket. Of course I didn't realize this until I got home. After about 15 phone calls to the Executive service center, and baggage services in Milwaukee, KC, and DC (where it ultimately ended up), I tracked it down. Actually they tracked me down. Luckily I had randomly stuck my boarding pass stub inside, so someone from DC called me to say they had it. So Monday, my first Monday of not going to the airport this year, I had to drive to the airport and pick up my journal. But unlike losing my keys on the plane a few years ago, this one has a happy ending.

No comments: