Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Frosty Malt Threshold

A frosty malt, served with a wooden spoon, has always been my treat of choice at sporting events, especially baseball games. This is despite a strong campaign for fried cheese curds that my friend has spent this summer running. I firmly believe that ballpark food is overpriced. I know this, but I am willing to splurge for such things on an occasional basis.

However, Saturday night I learned that there is a price threshold for what I will and won't pay for a frosty malt. In my recollection, the last one I got cost around $4. Obviously a markup, but I price I could stomach. Now, however, the price at the K is $5.25, and I have learned that this is a price I'm not willing to pay. This 30% price increase may cost me my ballpark frosty malts.

Maybe I'll learn to live with it. I had a similar experience when I was in college. I always preferred to buy cans of pop from machines. They are cheaper, and I never wanted 20 oz of pop anyway. When my school signed a deal with Pepsi, along with that came the replacement of all the can machines with bottle machines. I boycotted for a long time, around a year or so, but eventually accepted they were there to stay.

I still miss pop machines that sell cans.

No comments: