Saturday, July 17, 2010

Day 3: Shenandoah National Park

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thursday was Shenandoah National Park day. The drive from my hotel was only about 15 minutes, and I entered the park around 9:00, at the southern point where Skyline Drive through the park meets the Blue Ridge Parkway. There was not much traffic heading north so I had the road to myself. I stopped by a few overlooks, and headed first to the Blackrock Summit Trail.

The trail was about one mile round trip and follow part of the Appalachian Trail. I did manage to freak myself out pretty well after I read that there are rattlesnakes in the rocks you have to climb to reach the Summit. I decided I could see just about as well from where I was and did not climb the rocks.

When I got back to the car, I headed to Big Run Overlook. Just after passing, I saw a black bear cross the road behind my car. That is my first confirmed bear sighting, and I was glad to be seeing it from the car and not while I was hiking!

I stopped at the Big Meadows camp store and then headed on to my next hike, Dark Hollow Falls. It is supposed to be the most accessible waterfall in the park. On the where to the falls, you have to walk down some pretty steep areas, and I was already dreading coming back up. I much prefer to do the Up part first.

The falls were not particularly impressive this time of year. Not enough rain I guess, and I opted not to hike further down to the Lower Falls. It was already a beast of a climb back up and I was huffing and puffing. I decided I really don’t like to hike up hill!

For my third and final hike, I opted for the Limberlost Trail, which is much more level in elevation, given it is handicapped accessible. It was a leisurely loop trail, with no one sight that it is based around. It was mostly shady and I liked it.

I stopped at Skyland next, at the highest point in the park, and browsed the gift shop. There was a talk going on about bears, but I had already missed most of it so went on my way. It was already about 1:45 at this point, so I figured I’d stop at one or two more overlooks but head on to the north end of the park. Many of the overlooks were closed for rehabilitation thanks to the Recovery Act, and there was the requisite road construction as well. Skyline Drive was lane for awhile so we were stopped about 15 minutes waiting for the oncoming traffic to come by.

After I exited the park, I decided I couldn’t resist being 20 miles from West Virginia without a picture so I headed that way. Unfortunately, when I got to WV, the sign had been stolen and was just an empty post. At this point I was frustrated and just gave up, knowing I was still about 3 hours from Newark, DE. I told the GPS to take me to the hotel in Delaware and off we went.

Well, turns out I did end up crossing into West Virginia since the GPS took me north to I-70. I pulled over on the highway and used my tripod and self-timer to take a picture. It was awesome! So much better than trying to take it of myself. And I can even set the camera to take 3 shots, in case I made a face, which I frequently do.

I was also able to use the tripod to get Maryland, but I had to get out on the passenger side of the car due to traffic. After dinner at Wendy’s and $9 in tolls, I made it into Delaware, my 48th state. I didn’t stop to take the picture because it was right after the toll booth and I was just tired of being in the car so went on to the hotel.

The Fairfield Inn in Newark was not my favorite hotel, but it was adequate. Except for then ants in the room! Luckily all I had to do here was sleep. I did turn on the bat phone so I could be set to check in for my flight in the morning and 205 work emails came in unbidden. I quickly turned it off.

No comments: