Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Reverse Bucket List

As I've been preparing for my trip, I thought of a few things for my bucket list. As I was browsing the interwebs looking for more cool things to put on my list, I came across lots of things that people had on theirs' that I had already done.

So I had the idea to make a list of all the cool things I've already done or have happened to me as a way of reflecting on the successes and opportunities I've already had. Kinda like a gratuity journal on a grander scale. Turns out I've had more fun thinking of things for the list I've already done than what I want to do. Now, there are probably lots more places I've been that could be added, but I tried not to go over the top in that category. So, here's what I've come up with so far, in no particular order.

  1. See a platypus in the wild.
  2. Go snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef.
  3. Be in a parade.
  4. Learn a second language.
  5. Be in a wedding.
  6. Attend a Final Four.
  7. Live in another country.
  8. Swim in the Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, and Gulf of Mexico.
  9. See a show on Broadway.
  10. Be on TV.
  11. Get a master's degree.
  12. Own my own house.
  13. Go backpacking in the mountains.
  14. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.
  15. Be in a circus.
  16. Swim with stingrays in the Caribbean.
  17. Go to an authentic Hawaiian luau.
  18. Play three musical instruments.
  19. Be a camp counselor.
  20. Be president of an organization.
  21. Go skiing.
  22. Win an award.
  23. Meet Bob Dole.
  24. Go on a cross country bus trip.
  25. Get Mickey Mouse ears with my name on them.
  26. Learn to hang drywall.
  27. Go to Europe.
  28. Tile a bathroom.
  29. Sleep outside under the stars.
  30. Give a sermon.
  31. Page in the Kansas Senate.
  32. Ride an elephant.
  33. Go zip lining.
  34. Tour a brewery.
  35. See a moose.
  36. Travel by ferry.
  37. Go water tubing.
  38. Fly first class.
  39. Read the Bible all the way through.
  40. See a drive-in movie.
  41. Visit the National Football Hall of Fame.
  42. Take ice skating lessons.
  43. Learn archery.
  44. Have a white Christmas.
  45. Go to a Monday Night Football game.
  46. See the Penguin Parade on Philip Island.
I keep thinking of more things to add, and it's been a lot fun reflecting on all these things. It just goes to show that life happens when you're making other plans!

2 comments:

Sally said...

What a great list! I shall have to make one. Might be more rewarding than what i haven't yet done that I want to do.

carteblanche said...

You should do it - it was a lot of fun! Once I got started they kept coming, so I had to keep something to write on with me all the time.